Baked Mac & Cheese featuring Daiya (Dairy Free)
We just moved into our first apartment together and I haven't really have the chance to create a romantic dinner for my SO. After watching far too many episodes on the Cooking Channel I decided to make 2 dishes of baked macaroni and cheese. Because he can't eat my dairy free cheese I made this one for myself and it came out amazing! If you want it to contain diary just switch the cheese.
- 3 Cups or 2 packages Daiya Cheddar Cheese Shreds
- 8 oz pasta, my favorite is Barilla gluten free
- 2 Cups dairy-free milk (if you can have dairy I suggest adding cream of mushroom as well)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper and salt
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs, gluten-free
- Gluten free crackers
- 1 Baking dish
- Silicon Spatulas (They're easier for combining the cheese and noodles)
- 1 Large pot for noodles and strainer
- Cook your gluten-free pasta according to the directions on the box, and drain. You can leave the noodles slightly al dente if you're using a different brand from Barilla which will make your noodles firm rather than mushy. Once your noodles are finished preheat your oven to 350?F and make sure you keep your oven closed.
- While your oven is heating up prepare the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a medium sized pot. Add int he salt and pepper and slowly whisk in the dairy-free milk (you can also use a fork). Add in your shredded cheese and whisk until fully melted. Transfer your noodles into a casserole dish and add the melted cheese mixture on top. This will prevent any excess cheese from being wasted and it makes for an easier cleanup. Fold the melted cheese in with the noodles, don't over mix them or they will become mushy.
- Top your macaroni dish with bread crumbs and gluten-free crackers. The bread crumbs make this noodle dish crunchy while the crackers give it a buttery taste.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust begins to brown and the cheese is gooey. Once you take it out of the oven serve and enjoy! I recommend pairing this dish with asparagus and lamb, trust me your SO will be over the moon.