The Top 8 Essential Oils for Thyroid Support
Caring for your thyroid is extremely important, especially if you have Hashimoto's like I do. I have a hypothyroid which means that my thyroid functions too slow, there is another form called hyperthyroidism which means that the thyroid functions too quickly. When you have either of these autoimmune diseases your body is thrown off of its tracks and all of its systems begin to fight against the changes that thyroid diseases can cause. These changes can include hair loss, weight loss or gain, mood changes, menstrual cycle changes, dry skin, brittle nails, and many more uncomfortable side effects.
For the past year, I have been researching the best essential oils for thyroid support and natural ways to heal my thyroid. I have so many allergies and two very strange diseases (Hashimoto's and Non-Allergic Rhinitis) that finding remedies with organic and pure ingredients was extremely important. I have to share with you the essential oils that have helped me through my thyroid healing journey!
- Lemongrass - Lemongrass is my absolute favorite essential oil because it smells amazing and it's really great for your thyroid. This essential oil helps to create balance between how your thyroid is functioning while stimulating your hormones, boosting your metabolism, and helping your immune system. Always dilute this essential oil, I use coconut oil with mine if you don't then it will irritate your skin and cause a burning sensation. I apply this oil on the lower part of my back, the sides of my neck, and on the part of my neck where my thyroid is located.
- Peppermint - Peppermint oil is amazing for DIY cleaners and keeping spiders away but it's also really beneficial to your health. This oil creates a calming effect on your body, allowing you to relax, it can also eliminate headaches, help nausea, open nasal passages, it aids in digestion, and it stimulates mental clarity among other amazing benefits! To use this oil for sinus congestion add 1-3 drops on the back of your hand and lick it, yes lick the oil. It will clear your sinuses allowing you to breathe. If you have chronic rhinitis like I do then this is perfect, just use it daily!
- Clove Oil - Clove oil is great for candida, toothaches, acne, and it offers antioxidant benefits. You can dilute the oil with another oil such as coconut oil, apply it topically and see all of the amazing benefits is has to offer!
- Frankincense - This oil helps to minimize the appearance of pores, it can prevent wrinkles, and tighten your skin.
- Basil - Basil oil is wonderful for healing injuries and wounds, reducing adrenal fatigue, and it can help inflammation which is great for those of us that have thyroid disease. You can consume this oil, apply it topically, or use it in a diffuser.
- Marjoram - You can use this oil internally, topically, or in your oil diffuser. It's great for the nervous system, and it also helps support a healthy immune system. For a creative way to use this oil add it to soups or stews for a kick of flavor.
- Lavender - Lavender is an amazing essential oil that fights anxiety, hair loss, stress, and insomnia. You can add some to a spray bottle and apply it to your pillow at night or rub it in with your hands. For some extra support diffuse it before you go to sleep or add a few drops into your favorite shampoo or conditioner. Go an extra step and make your own bath salts using pure non-scented bath salts in a glass container, then add in 15-20 drops of the oil and mix together.
- Rosemary - Rosemary is great for stress, the digestive tract, inflammation, and hair loss. Rub a few drops in your hands and massage into your scalp to stimulate hair growth, or add it to your favorite shampoo.
Here is a very popular mixture for thyroid support, just make sure when you're adding this mixture to your roller ball or container that you add in coconut oil!
20 drops frankincense 20 drops clove 20 drops myrrh 20 drops lemongrass 20 drops basil 20 drops marjoram
Some additional oils that help support overactive thyroid including Hyperthyroidism and Graves are Sandalwood, Myrrh, and Black Spruce.
Let me know your personal experience with using essential oils for thyroid support!